Buying vegetables isn’t just a simple task. Don’t ever think it’s all about just to reach out to the groceries store and stuff in your bag with the vegetables and then you are all done. Even a grade two student can buy a vegetable but choosing the right ones is the target. Buying right vegetables is an art. Also not to forget that the vegetables you choose are directly inclined to your overall health. Apart from health benefits, choosing the right way of buying vegetables can get you save hugs bucks by the end of a year. So here are few tips one should remember while on a trip to groceries store
- Fresher in its appearance- Look for the vegetables that are bright in colour. This resembles the freshness and will last longer than the others. If the item wears a dull or whitish colour that it’s clear to understand that they are not fully ripe or deprived of nutrients.
- Not too hard- Vegetables should be firm but not too hard to touch. Lack of moistness and juiciness will cause the vegetables hard. So the fresher they are the softer they will be.
- Their aroma- Though you can’t judge all the vegetables by its smell, but this trick works too. Leafy vegetables are particularly fragrant. When you smell, you immediately should feel like they are on your taste buds, but if they don’t smell anything than just of its packaging then they aren’t ready to fill our tummies.
- Heavier ones are yours!- Go for the ones that are little heavy then others in the basket. As these heavier ones hold more juice and are often fresher. Lighter weights ones are generally dry as they lack the juice and are often not so fresh comparatively.
- Check for their stems- Yes! If their stems are green rather than brown then it has to be yours as they are fresh.
Not all the green vegetables are truly green and not all of them can do well for your body. Our newspapers these days are filled with articles related to contamination and their impact on human body. With people growing money minded, there are hardly few who think of growing vegetables in a proper way. Accepting of new methods to grow vegetables faster with use of pesticides is leaving a huge impact on vegetables.
So make sure you choose wise when you have to pick up healthiest greens. Most of the green vegetables are injected with green colour. Not all the vegetables that are green are of natural green, most of them are artificial green.
There are incidents like, leafy vegetables when washed in warm water or even with normal water are often found pale at the end leaving the water take its colour. This means they hold colours that are sprayed on them leading to numerous new diseases and infections. Fruits are artificially ripened, vegetables are artificially coloured. And natural methods of vegetation are dying slowly and gradually.
So, when you are at a groceries store and you have this task to select the right greens then the first basic tip one must remember is, natural green of vegetables is of one colour and the artificial one is of another colour. Understand the difference between these two green colours and there you go on picking which is right and which isn’t.
Hold on the vegetables for few minutes and try rubbing on their upper skin, if they are sprayed and hold unnatural colour they are identifies easily as your fingers start to take their tint.
Choosing the right healthy green is all one must learn these days to keep themselves safe from impurities.
Have you bought the vegetables this week that are more than needed? Don’t worry, you can always save them from going stale and not let your money on it go waste. The best option for such kind of scenarios is to opt for freezing. Not many know that our food can last more than a month when you know the right freezing methods. Thanks to our freezers for having the power to safeguard the leftovers.
So here are few secrets for properly freezing your food without it letting go waste,
- Proper equipment’s- there are different varieties of equipment’s needed for freezing different veggies and fruits. So one must know the right material to choose.
- Temperature- Adjustment of the temperature is what one must know while planning to freeze the food. Depending on the climatic conditions you live in your refrigerator must change its freezing temperature.
- Arranging- one must learn to arrange them in a proper way so that they are not piled up which again may lead to staling.
- Prepare for freezing- some fruits and vegetables need to be peeled or cut or washed before freezing. Opt for the right method that is suited for your food to freeze.
- Prepare from rotting- some fruits when cut turn their colour immediately to brown, in order to avoid such colour turning learn few tips like dipping them in acidulated water before freezing will help.
- For letting it to freeze quickly one must always learn to not open the freezer often. The more they are disturbed the slower is the cooling.
- Make sure to remove air from containers and bags when you freeze food in them. This will help food to last much longer and help prevent from frost forming.
- There are also methods like wet pack freezing for fruits that help them stay even longer than the normal freezing methods.
- Sometimes you can even opt for vegetable purees, fruit juices freezing in order to save space in your refrigerator.
- Make sure to label the bags and containers with the date you are letting to freeze in. You might think you will remember but down the lane you tend to forget what is inside it too.